Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Warning Signs

Monacco Desert Cottage - Vista Hills

Ep. 10_Sc. 01_01

“Okay, the last thing to cover is the potential acquisition of Whitfield Unlimited. They have a packing plant on the east side of town that MSI could easily leverage as a requisite use facility for all shipping requests over a certain size. Very profitable situation there,” Blair handed Isabella the perspectives on the company and waited for the answer she knew was coming. Isabella gave them a quick scan and slid them back across the table. “I think it’s a great idea Blair. Please draw up an offer and send it to Mr. Whitfield. I’m having dinner with him tomorrow night.”


Ep. 10_Sc. 01_02

The light chime of the door bell interrupted their business meeting. Isabella moved to answer it and as she approached the door a smile spread across her face when she recognized her visitor. “Reese, what are you doing here?” “I came to drop this off," he said holding up a shopping bag and returning her smile. “You left it in Eden’s car the other day. I happened to be over there and told her I’d get it to you.”

Ep. 10_Sc. 01_03

“Thank you,” she said taking the bag and gesturing for him to come into the house. “I’m not disturbing you am I? The bag isn’t really the only reason I’m here.” Isabella turned back to the dinning room where Blair was already gathering up her things to leave. “Don’t worry about it. We were finishing up anyway. Isabella, I’ll have the offer set up and sent out by tomorrow morning.” Blair grabbed her briefcase, acknowledged Reese with a nod, and headed out the front door.

Ep. 10_Sc. 01_04

He sat down in the living room as she went to the kitchen to get him something to drink. Without realizing it, his gaze followed her shapely silhouette as she walked away from him; an unexpected reaction that he shook himself out of immediately. He put his hand up to rub the back of his neck and felt the slight wetness of his palm. He wiped it off on the sofa cushion and shifted in his seat trying to get himself together. After all this time she still made him a little nervous.

Ep. 10_Sc. 01_05

“So what’s going on?” she said setting a glass of water in front of him. “I know you’re not here to talk about the weather.” Reese took a sip of the water and inhaled sharply before he began. “Look Issy, Eden told me about you and Nico and I know you’re happy, but….” he let out a sigh, knowing she wouldn’t like what he was about to say. “You don’t know him anymore. He’s different. He’s not the same person he was when we were kids. I’m not just saying this because he’s a known criminal, which should be a consideration in the first place, but he’s been through a lot of crazy stuff. Things that have really messed him up, badly.”

Ep. 10_Sc. 01_06

Isabella gave him a knowing smile. He was being protective, which was a welcome revelation given the history between them. “Well clearly Eden still can’t keep a secret. I know he’s changed Reese, but deep down he’s still the same in a lot of ways. I know you too have had your differences and I blame myself for a lot of that, but his heart is still good, despite what he does. You used to be his best friend; I know you can still see that, even a little.”

Ep. 10_Sc. 01_07

He looked away from her briefly, realizing that he was talking to a wall. Whatever hold Nico had on her before had only tightened; she was already in too deep on to be receptive to his warnings. But he had come here for a reason and he was going to get out everything he had to say. Whatever she did with it was up to her. “He’s not evil, I know that. But a good heart doesn’t excuse the fact that he’s got half the town under his thumb out of fear and the other have soaked in drug money. This isn’t cops and robbers Isabella; he’s a walking target. People want to kill him and everyone that’s important to him. Do you really think you’re exempt from that?” Reese kept his eyes on her, his face serious, hoping that something was getting through.

Ep. 10_Sc. 01_08

She averted her eyes and let out a breath; her expression becoming distant and almost pained. When she turned back to him he could see tears glistening in her eyes, but she blinked them back before they could fall. “I know what I’m dealing with Reese, but I also know that Nico would never let anything happen to me. Never.” Incredulous, he closed his eyes and shook his head. “Famous last words. What did he do hire a bodyguard for you? He can’t be with you every second and that’s all it takes for someone to take a shot. Wake up Issy! You’ve got to let this go!!”

Ep. 10_Sc. 01_09

Isabella opened her mouth to speak, but the sound of the front door slamming startled them both. “So she’s got to let me go, huh Boy Scout?” Nico stood in the entryway arms crossed and ready to spit venom, but he kept his composure. “The door was unlocked. You might want to tell her not to let that happen again since you want to be her damn watch dog all of a sudden.”

Ep. 10_Sc. 01_10

Isabella stood up and walked towards him quickly making herself a barrier between the two men. “Nico stop. Reese was just concerned, that’s all,” she said trying to pacify him and prevent things from escalating. Nico grabbed her by the waist and kissed her passionately, unmistakably marking his territory. “I’ll just bet he was,” he said in a low growl when he finally released her.

Ep. 10_Sc. 01_11

Reese stood up from the sofa and began walking past them towards the door. “I’m gonna go. Think about what I said Issy; you know where to find me if you ever need anything.” “She won’t. I’ve got her covered,” Nico shouted after him. He heard Isabella call out a feeble goodbye just before the door slammed behind him.

Ep. 10_Sc. 01_12

None of this would end well; he knew it and deep down so did she. Once again he had tried and failed to get her to realize that she and Nico would never work and once again she had ignored him in the face of her feelings for the asshole. But one thing was definitely different. This time he wouldn’t be the nice guy that came in last; he wasn’t even entering this race. He could only hope that she faced reality before it was too late.


*****************************


Monacco Estate - Canary Islands, Spain

Ep. 10_Sc. 02_01
Ep. 10_Sc. 02_02

“Carlos, how are you?” Blair rolled her eyes as she knew this phone call would mean that her work day wasn’t quite over yet. “Not good Ms. Bolthouse, not good at all. I haven’t heard from my daughter in weeks and please don’t misunderstand, while I so enjoy hearing your voice I’d prefer to hear hers. What is Isabella so busy with that she can’t take a 5 minute phone call from her father?”

Ep. 10_Sc. 02_03

“I just came from seeing her. Have you tried her place?” Blair winced as she already knew the answer to that question. “Of course I have. Lexie said that she was out entertaining clients. I’d love to know just who she’s entertaining at this hour.” “Well you know what they say, the city never sleeps,” she said with a laugh trying to lighten his mood. “Can I help you with anything?”

Ep. 10_Sc. 02_04

“Yes. You tell my daughter that I want to speak to her, not you and not Lexie. I’m trusting her with my legacy and she damn well better understand that she is going to have answer to me, directly. If she doesn’t, I’m afraid that I’m going to have to initiate a meeting with her myself….in person.”

11 comments:

  1. Oh I love this! The encounter between Nico and Reese just crackles! Marking his territory is right. I can understand why Isabella is so besotted with Nico, but sometimes that is such a bad, bad place to be. "He won't let anything happen to me." Well maybe he won't. But it was sad that she sat there and listened to what Nico has become and has nothing to say in response except that his heart is good.

    and wow, about time we saw Daddy get into the act! Ominous isn't even the word.

    I love your shots. I always always do!

    Shorter was just wonderful. Really well done, tight, focused, and an overall great update!

    ReplyDelete
  2. There's a lot of stuff between Reese and Nico, stuff even beyond Isabella. As estranged as they are Reese knows a lot about what makes him tick and Nico hates that. Both he and Isabella are in this dream world where they are together, in love and they don't want to see anything else, especially Issy.

    And yes, Daddy is finally in the picture. He wants results and he's getting antsy about it. Not the type to be brushed off at all.

    Shorter is definately better; a lot of pressure off of me now. Thank you for listening to me whine about it on more than one occasion :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so impressed! Not only did you manage to successfully cut back the way you wanted to in length but you still managed to pack a wallop here!

    Reese seems to have some serious underlying motives for warning her off. I know there is history there and I'm sure he means well. I doubt either Issy or Nico will get that though. Something tells me that she will seriously think about what he said at some point, not that it will do any good. And now daddy is in the picture!

    Wonderful wonderful update! Gorgeous shots! I agree with SB that it was tight, focused and very well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another great chapter!! Short works great! This was really neat and focused...

    I so want to see Daddy's face! I don't even know him, and I dislike him already...
    if Isabella had stayed in town, Nico wouldn't have become what he is now... he would have married her and live happily ever after... (but there wouldn't be Las Vistas)

    So I think Daddy is one of those chapter that you love to hate, so unwanted, but so needed!
    I can't wait to see more of him..

    Reese conversation with Issy, he is right about everything he said, time has passed, and Nico is not the same he used to be so many years ago...

    Sadly, Issy is madly in love and living what she couldn't live 15 years ago... everything else doesn't really matter right now... but the time will come when Nico's baggage will become to heavy for her...

    Wonderful chapter!
    Lovely shots like always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gayl and thank you. For some reason it's getting easier for me to see things now that I'm making things shorter so I think this will work.

    Issy heard Reese loud and clear and is choosing to ignore it. She thinks she's found what she lost and ain't letting it go. We'll see if her father can change that perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  6. S@andy!!! I love comments from you. You always get me so excited about my own work :)

    Yes, her father's face is certainly hidden for good reason. But I think we'll see it soon. He can't stay away forever. And yes Isabella's head is in the sand. She refuses to see anything but her happiness and that is not a good thing. Reese might have a serious "i told you so" moment coming, but we'll see.

    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. I reallly wont feel bad when Issy gets whats coming to her. The amount of insensitivity towards Reese is just uncalled for. There was noo need for that "marking territory" bs. Its obvious whos with who.

    And her ignoring Nico's life choices is a stupid thing to do. Obviously she's never watched General Hospital. Girlfriends of mobsters are always first to go.
    And shes playing games with her dad. This girl is delusional.

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL!! Yes GH is a breeding ground for mob activity and the fallout of it. The whole Sonny and Brenda thing comes to mind. Nico doesn't like Reese for a varitey to reasons so he was more than happy to do anything short of pee on Isabella to get his point across.

    You are right, things are not going to end well here, everyone knows it but Reese is the only one willing to face it and say something about it. But delusional or not Issy only sees Nico and vice versa.

    Daddy is a wild card right now, but he will keep things interesting to say the least.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. hey muzegoddess,

    first, i have never seen anyone capture expressions the way you do. I don't even know if I can do that! they fit the scenes perfectly! what's your trick?

    oh, Issy is beautiful btw :)

    Didn't Nico and Issy have a fallout a while back? Last time I read an update with Issy and Nico, they were having some troubles because he is no good for her. I had figured they'd end up together one day.

    However, men of his sort tend to be associated with trouble, which means that I can understand why Reese is worried about her. He's a sweet guy, and everyone needs someone to reveal the truth to them every once in a while.

    great update!
    lovely writing.

    xtinabobina

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you xtina. One box I always have out is decorgal's custom modeling hack. Layering the facial overlays is invaluable. I generally overlay at least three at a time. You can definately to it too.

    Issy and Nico are on a rocky road but at the end of the day they love each other and just want to be together. Whether they will stay together remains to be seen right now. In Reese's POV the two of them together is nothing but trouble and he's worried about Issy getting hurt, emotionall and physically. But yes, his heart is in the right place.

    Thank you for the compliment on the writing. I'm still learning and trying to make it good.

    ReplyDelete