Thursday, September 3, 2009

The Best Laid Plans

Monacco Desert Cottage - Vista Glenn




Lexie ran up the stairs to her boss’s room concerned and pressed for time. She hadn’t heard a peep out of her all morning and didn’t hear her come back from her outing the night before. She reached Isabella’s bedroom to find a freshly made bed, but no sign of her boss.




“I’m over here, Isabella said from the terrace, not even bothering to turn around. This was the second time that Lexie had caught her out there staring off into space. Ever since they had arrived in Las Vistas Isabella had been pensive and constantly distracted, a state Lexie had never seen her in before.


“You’re up already. I was up until 4am, when did you get back?”

“About an hour ago.”

“You’ve dressed already, did you get any sleep at all?”

“No. Don’t worry Lex, I’m fine.”


Finally turning around to face her assistant, Isabella tried to reassure her with a smile. “Did you get that phone number for me?” “Still working on it; I should have it later today. It’s getting late, you should probably get going. Blair is going to meet you at Mr. Carlyle’s office.”



“Thank you, Lexie, I’ll see you later,” Isabella said as she exited the bedroom. “Good luck,” Lexie said smiling. “Trust me; I won’t be the one who needs it.”


*************************************************************


Carlyle Financial Group - Downtown Las Vistas





“I told you that the last paragraph doesn’t change anything Blake. It merely reinforces Carlyle Enterprises’ right of first refusal to any future trademarks for the club or any such merchandise, of which—at this time—you have none.” Thad’s firm grasp of legalese was way over Blake’s head, a troubling fact that he would have to rectify. 



Blake considered signing the contracts just to get it over with, but he thought better of it. “That’s fine Thad, but I’m going to have Blair look over this once more.” “Suit yourself; I’m sure your sister will tell you the same thing I have. Now if that’s all, my next appointment will be here any minute.” 





“Great. I’ll see you at the opening?” Blake asked, already knowing the answer. “Don’t hold your breath. I just finance this stuff; I don’t have to dance along too.” He gave a sarcastic smile and went back to his papers. 






Blake took the contracts and headed out of the office. As he opened the door he ran smack into his sister Blair. “Damn it! I’m sorry B. You okay?” he said grabbing her shoulder to make sure that she was steady on her feet. 




“I’m okay, but I see you’re still as clumsy as ever,” she said with a disapproving smirk.


“What are you doing here?” Blake inquired. “I’m waiting for my client; we have a meeting with Thad.” They both turned towards the elevator bank as the bell chimed and the doors open. “Here she is now. I have to go.” 




Blake stood dumbfounded as the woman he had seen on the beach approached his sister. If it was possible, she was even more beautiful in the light. Once again he found himself drawn in by her eyes, almost as if they were speaking to him. 






She walked right past him as if she had never seen him before. Blair greeted her and pointed her in the direction of Thad’s office before she turned back to Blake. “I’ll see you later okay?” Blair said as she walked away. 



“You certainly will. I’ve got a lot of questions for you.” 



************************************************************ 




“Ms. Monacco, it’s been such a long time. It’s good to see you after all of these years.” Thad put on his fake smile and invited the ladies to have a seat. “Now tell me, what brings you by today?”




“Frankly Thaddeus, you do. You and the way you have been handling my family’s company.” Isabella was direct. She wanted this over with as soon as possible. “It’s come to my father’s attention that you have been less than forthright in your dealings with our real estate holdings—to the tune of $50 million.”



 



Blair hadn’t expected her client to be so blunt. Her plan to lead Thad with a few questions, let him hang himself, and then go in for the kill had been all but shot to hell. “Look Thad, I’ve been over the books several times and the numbers just don’t add up to what you have actually reported. Can you explain these discrepancies?” 




"Sure I can, why don’t you and I set up a meeting to discuss this privately. I’m sure Ms. Monacco has better things to do with her time than listen to us chat about this small business matter.” Thad’s mouth drew even tight as he tried to keep his composure.





“If I had better things to do, I assure you I wouldn’t be here talking to you,” Isabella said, her tone bordering on anger. “I’m not some debutant putting on a pretty face for daddy’s company. I’m on the board at M.S.I., or was that lost on you somehow?” 





Trying to keep things from escalating Blair jumped in. “Look, Thad, all you have to do is….” 

“I know what I have to do Blair, thank you,” he said, interrupting her. 





“I know when my balls are being handed to me and I can’t say that I appreciate it. I’ve taken care of this company for years. Maybe the fact that I have increased the capital of Monaco International’s domestic division by threefold has been lost on you, Ms. Monaco.” 





“Not at all, neither has the fact that a large portion of that revenue is unaccounted for, Mr. Carlyle.” Thad’s patience had run out. He resented being questioned by anyone, especially a spoiled princess masquerading as a business executive. 



#3-9


“Does your father know what you are doing here? Does he realize that the prospects of his company are being compromised by you coming here and questioning me; insinuating that I’m so sort of an embezzler?" 

8 comments:

  1. I was so excited to see another update from you!

    I love your shots. You have your own style, just beautiful.

    You know Gunther must be out of his mind to keep telling that spoiled brat Sienna that he loves her. Poor guy needs to keep his mouth shut and suffer in silence. Obviously she could not care less. And to throw Mateo in his face...what a bitch.

    Isabella is certainly making a splash. The conversation with her friend Eden was sad and realistic; defending her father against something that appears to be more selfish than protective, but I guess we'll find out more.

    Cyrus...wow....just about hit the floor when he walked in the door! god he is gorgeous! sort what sort of 'vibe' is he giving off??

    Blake's got himself a fantasy girl! What's he going to do when he finds out who she is?

    I love the way you tie someone like Reese in here. He's so different, grounded, or at least it looks that way so far. Nico sure acted the ass didn't he? Not entirely unexpected, and Reese just let him carry on, which again I really liked.

    and that cliffhanger ending!! You've got Isabella tied up in so many complex ways with so many complicated people - just love it!!! And I love love that dark, ominous shot.

    Wonderful wonderful update!! Well worth the wait!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic job!!!
    Thad, what a jerk... he really is 'something'!!!

    Poor Gunther, I think he is also destined to only be a "friend" just like Reese!!

    Agree with SB Cyrus is gorgeous!!! :D

    Sloane doesn't seem so happy about Isabella staying in Las Vistas, I can't wait to find out what is the story behind those two!!

    Nico, poor Nico he thinks that drinkings he will forget about Isabella!!
    I'm really hoping Isabella and Nico will see each other soon again!!!! : I can't wait for that meeting to happen!! I'm really really looking forward to it!!!

    I'm really loving this story!!!
    Great chapter!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi S.B. & Sandy

    I'm glade you guys like this update. Hope it wasn't too long.

    Gunther is a poor sap in a sad situation. He loves the hell out of Sienna and can't get past the friend zone, but can't completely leave her alone either. He sees the good in her that is buried down deep. He's kind of like Reese was years before, but Reese had the good sense to let go.

    Cyrus is a great piece of man candy. But there is more going on behind that pretty face. Isabella feels it but can't put her finger on what it is. She will though....

    Isabella is in such a difficult position (which her father has put her in again). She's balancing between reconnecting with the good (her friendship w/ Eden) while avoiding the bad (people like Sloane and the bad energy she's harboring). She knows its going to be a shit show and she doesn't want to deal with it.

    Blake and Nico are in similar position, but just to a differnt degree of seriousness. Blake has been captured by Issy's beauty and is intriged by her. Nico is practically strung out on the memories and the feelings he's trying to surpress. Trust me he is about to go over the edge.

    Thank you so much for you comments and support. It really makes doing this worthwhile :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad to see another post from you! It looks like things are heating up fast. I really enjoyed how Isabella took over in that meeting. I think Thad may have a few tricks up his sleeve but my guess is that she can handle him easily. She is smart and beautiful. Very very curious about what the rest of the plan is though and why she wants nothing to do with it.

    I loved the scene at Eden's house. It was well done and very natural, like two old friends catching up. Cyrus...not sure what I think about him yet but he is a hottie.

    I don't know if Nico is good or bad. Obviously Isabella loved him. I don't think I am rooting for Reese in this situation. *shrug* The jury is still out I guess.

    I laughed at Blake trying to get information from Blair about Issy. His sister knows him too well.

    Your shots were absolutely wonderful! Can't wait for more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Gayl,

    Thanks for commenting. I always love to hear your perspective. Miss Isabella is a very no nonsense woman and Thad would be wise to back off...but of course that wouldn't cause any drama, which is what I'm after right now.

    Eden and Cyrus are my favorite pair. He is hot isn't he :). Issy really needs someone in her corner and Eden is the best friend she got right now or has ever had for that matter.

    Nico...if anything I think he was a good guy at one time who is living in a bad guy's body. There's something redeemable deep down inside of that venemous exterior though...I hope.

    Thanks for the compliment about the shots. I am constantly trying to get better and the encouragement helps.

    Thanks again for reading and taking the time to let me know what you think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was watching a TV show the other night where one of the main characters was both good and bad. It struck me how powerful his character was and how appealing it was to me because he was both good and bad. A good guy doing bad things. I don't know if that is what you would call an anti-hero or what but characters who have a lot of grey, neither good nor bad, are very interesting and compelling to either a viewer or a reader. At least that is my take on it.

    Sorry for the ramble. Nico just fit that profile in my eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, so much happened in this chapter. Reese and Nico's talk was interesting; I liked the reverse psychology Reese used on him. Now I wonder if he'll take the bait. Your characters are so realistic and life-like, I'm so jealous :(

    I bet Thad had something to do with Issy's story in the business section. He doesn't seem like the type to take things lying down :)
    And poor Gunther, when will he call it quits? He can't keep holding on, hoping Sienna will change her mind. Or maybe she will once she realises she doesn't have his faithful love any longer? This is amazing work :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Valpre!! Way too much happened in this chapter. I don't know what I was thinking making it so long, but I'm glad you hung in there.

    Reese knows just how to get under Nico's skin so you can definately expect Nico to take the bait in his own way.

    Thad is definately not one to things lying down and he has every intention of getting even.

    Gunther...he just might be a lost cause. He's blindly in love with Sienna. But you're right, she wouldn't know what to do if she didn't have him hanging on her every word.

    THANK YOU so much for reading.

    ReplyDelete